UMBC’s B.S. Program in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The Program Educational Objectives The faculty of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at UMBC is dedicated to serving its constituencies by graduating mechanical engineers who will achieve the following milestones 3-5 years from graduation:
- Demonstrate success as a professional mechanical engineer, or a successful transition from the traditional mechanical engineer career path into another career.
- Demonstrate success in advanced education, research and development, or other creative efforts in engineering, science and technology.
Mechanical Engineering Student Outcomes
The outcomes below are the knowledge and skills students are expected to attain at the time of graduation:
1. an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
2. an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
3. an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
4. an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
5. an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
6. an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
7. an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Mechanical Engineering Program Enrollment and Graduation Statistics
Enrollment and graduation data are located on the College of Engineering and Information Technology (COEIT) web site: http://coeit.umbc.edu/enrollment-graduation-data/.