Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle Baltimore, MD 21250
Ph.D., Mechanics & Materials Science, Johns Hopkins University, 1972
B. Sc. Engg. (Hons), Mechanical Engineering, Aligarh Muslim University, India, 1965
B.Sc. (Hons.), Physics, Math. & Chemistry , Aligarh Muslim University, India, 1961
Founding Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Plasticity
Founding Chairman, International Symposium on Plasticity and its Current Applications
Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Halliburton Distinguished Lecturer Award for Simultaneous Excellence in Teaching, Research & Service
|1995-present||University of Maryland Baltimore County, Professor, Mechanical Engineering|
|1992-1995||University of Maryland Baltimore County, Professor & Chairman, Mechanical Engineering|
|1978-1992||University of Oklahoma, Norman; Professor (1984 1992), Associate Professor (1981 84), Assistant Professor (1978 81); Received tenure in 1982. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering|
Primary research interest is in experimental and numerical studies in emerging materials (nanocrystalline metals and polymers), and new metal alloys, related to the constitutive modeling of finite plastic behavior at high strain rates and quasi‑static loading; and damage & failure modeling of composite materials and ceramics. Secondary research interests are in development of yield and fracture criteria for granular rock materials and ceramics, elastic‑plastic fracture mechanics (especially fatigue crack propagation in metallic solids), metal forming, and in elastic‑plastic constitutive models for granular rock materials and ceramics.
Classes Taught at UMBC
Mechanics of Materials
Mechanical Behavior of Deformable Solids Lab
Introduction to Solid Mechanics
Mechanical Behavior of Materials
Continuum Theory of Plasticity
Inelastic Wave Propagation
Most Recent Papers in Refereed Journals (for full listing, please click HERE).
- Akhtar S. Khan, Jian Liu, “A deformation mechanism based crystal plasticity model of ultrafine-grained/nanocrystalline FCC polycryst.”, International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 86,2016, pp. 56-69.
- Farhoud Kabirian, Akhtar S. Khan, Thomas Gnäupel-Herlod, “Plastic deformation behavior of a thermo-mechanically processed AZ31 magnesium alloy under a wide range of temperature and strain rate”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 673, 2016, pp. 327-335.
- Farhoud Kabirian, Akhtar S. Khan, “Anisotropic yield criteria in σ–τ stress space for materials with yield asymmetry”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 67–68, 2015, pp. 116-126.
- Christopher S. Meredith, Akhtar S. Khan, “The microstructural evolution and thermo-mechanical behavior of UFG Ti processed via equal channel angular pressing”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 219, 2015, pp. 257-270
- Jian Liu, Akhtar S. Khan, Laszlo Takacs, Christopher S. Meredith, “Mechanical behavior of ultrafine-grained/nanocrystalline titanium synthesized by mechanical milling plus consolidation: Experiments, modeling and simulation”, International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 64, 2015, pp. 151-163
- Farhoud Kabirian, Akhtar S. Khan, Thomas Gnäupel-Herlod, “Visco-plastic modeling of mechanical responses and texture evolution in extruded AZ31 magnesium alloy for various loading conditions”, International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 68, 2015, pp. 1-20.
- Amit Pandey, Farhoud Kabirian, Ji-Hyun Hwang, Shi-Hoon Choi, Akhtar S. Khan, “Mechanical responses and deformation mechanisms of an AZ31 Mg alloy sheet under dynamic and simple shear deformations”, International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 68, 2015, pp. 111-131
- Akhtar S. Khan, Jian Liu, Jeong Whan Yoon, Raju Nambori, “Strain rate effect of high purity aluminum single crystals: Experiments and simulations”,International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 67, 2015, pp. 39-52.
Top Most Cited Papers/book in Refereed Journals based on “Google Scholar” (citations as of April 5, 2017; for complete list, click HERE)
- (Cited 951 times) Akhtar S. Khan, Sujian Huang, “Continuum Theory of Plasticity”, John Wiley & Sons, 1995.
- (Cited 286 times), Riqiang Liang, Akhtar S. Khan,“A Critical Review of Experimental Results and Constitutive Models for BCC and FCC Metals Over a Wide Range of Strain Rates and Temperatures”, International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 15, pp. 963-980, 1999.
- (Cited 230 times), Akhtar S. Khan, Y. S. Suh, Rehan Kazmi, “Quasi-static & Dynamic Loading Responses and Constitutive Modeling of Titanium Alloys”,International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 20, pp. 2233-2248, 2004.
- (Cited 209 times), Akhtar S. Khan, Amit Pandey, Thomas Gnäupel-Herold, Raja K. Mishra, “Mechanical response and texture evolution of AZ31 alloy at large strains for different strain rates and temperatures”,International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 27, pp. 688-706, 2011.
- (Cited 183 times), Akhtar S. Khan , Riqiang Liang, “Behaviors of Three BCC Metals Over a Wide Range of Strain Rates and Temperatures: Experiments and Modeling,” International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 15, pp.1089-1109, 1999.
- (Cited 135 times), Akhtar S. Khan, Haoyue Zhang, “Finite deformation of a polymer: experiments and modeling”, International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 17, pp. 1167-1188, 2001.
- (Cited 127 times), Babak Farrokh, Akhtar S. Khan, “Grain size, strain rate, and temperature dependence of flow stress in ultra-fine grained and nanocrystalline Cu and Al: synthesis, experiment, and constitutive modeling”, International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 25, pp. 715-732, 2009.